Virginia State Police reports that fraudulent telephone scams involving police impersonation are on the rise again!
The scammer has "spoofed" a legitimate VSP phone number with a 276 area code to appear credible.
Please hang up on this person & see the tips below on what law enforcement DOESN'T do...
Phone Scam Alert!
- Caller is very convincing & claims to be a police officer/investigator/trooper or reaches you on Whatsapp.
- Caller ID shows valid Virginia State Police phone #.
- Scammer falsely claims your identity has been stolen or you have a warrant for arrest & you need to send $$ ASAP for the charges to be cleared.
- Scammer asks for $$ to be transferred or wired to an account OR asks you to buy/send gift cards.
- Law enforcement never contacts citizens by phone to request payment OR to clear arrest warrants.
- Law enforcement never requests payment by/with gift cards.
- Caller ID is not always accurate - easy to spoof a number.
- NEVER provide a credit card # or account information over the phone.
- Report telephone scams to the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov.