The Norfolk Sheriff’s Office is seeking multiple self-motivated people to provide data entry and processing of records related to court charges and court dispositions.
The ideal candidate should have good computer skills, the ability to perform data entry, and good customer service skills. Knowledge of the criminal justice system, correctional facilities, or court documents is a plus. This position can work within a correctional environment. Some openings may involve working nights or weekends.
This is a full-time position; Salary range is $25,140 - $39,964.
Duties of this position include:
- Maintains paper work related to charges and court hearings for inmates in custody of Norfolk Sheriff’s Office.
- Performs data entry in automated systems to maintain court/charge information on inmates.
- Prepares time calculations for inmates receiving court sentencing
- Coordinate inmate transportation for inmates in facility that are required to be moved to other facilities
- Interacts with magistrates office to handle bond release of inmates
- Prepares, maintains, researches, retrieves, records and processes official records, documents, indicators and other data daily.
- Maintains all daily electronic logs used throughout the NSO.
- Performs related work as required by the Norfolk Sheriff’s Office
- Formal Education / Knowledge Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Experience Have any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and ability necessary to perform the work.
- Certifications and Other Requirements Must have a valid Virginia or Norfolk Carolina driver’s license (depending upon residency).
- Good knowledge of record keeping techniques, terminology, office procedures, and equipment.
- Must be able to prepare accurate and reliable reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations for a variety of reports containing inmate records issues.
- Must be able to use computers and the software applications needed to perform the job.
- Reading Work requires the ability to read forms, documents and manuals used by the Norfolk Sheriff’s Office.
- Math Ability to use general math to perform time calculations
- Writing Work requires the ability to clearly write notes, fill out paperwork and generate reports.
- Managerial N/A
- Budget Responsibility N/A
- Supervisory / Organizational Control N/A
- Complexity Work involves choices of action within limit set by standard practices and procedures. A professional attitude and demeanor is required when dealing with others within and outside of the Norfolk Sheriff’s Office.
- Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills Contact with others within the organization. These contacts may involve similar work units or organizations within the Norfolk Sheriff’s Office in the day-to-day operations. A professional and courteous demeanor should be adhered to at all times.
The following will cause the processing of the applicant to be immediately discontinued:
- Criminal Record:
- Conviction of any felony.
- Conviction of driving while intoxicated or under the influence of a controlled substance (within three (3) years).
- Conviction of any charge of domestic assault or violence against a family member.
- Conviction of a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude (i.e., larceny, embezzlement, perjury, etc.).
- Driving Record:
- Current driver’s license suspension.
- Driver’s license suspension within the last twelve (12) months.
- Conviction of a misdemeanor hit and run.
- Extensive traffic violation convictions exceeding minus five (-5) DMV demerit points.
- Drug Usage:
- Use of heroin, cocaine, or illegal hallucinogen within the past five (5) years
- Use of heroin by injection at any time.
- Any substantiated illegal act other than use (i.e., sale, manufacture, etc.) of any narcotic, controlled substance, or dangerous drug, as defined by State and Federal Law, except marijuana.