The Norfolk Sheriff's Office is now accepting applications for Deputy Sheriff positions. New employees are initially assigned to the jail. Most employees work 12-hour, rotating shifts (including days, nights, weekends and holidays) approximately 14 days per month.
Join a Team with a Sense of Purpose:
The Norfolk Sheriff’s Office is a values-driven team committed to public safety, public service, and public trust. Our motto is to serve in the spirit of the Golden Rule: treat others the way we wish to be treated. Our team strives to have integrity in all things, respect for others, duty without prejudice, pride without ego, and team before self.
Salary and Benefits:
- $34,000 starting salary, increases to $36,663 after academy graduation
- Medical benefits, dental, and vision
- Virginia Retirement System basic benefits and LEO Supplement.
- Paid annual and sick leave (additional leave for birthday and holidays)
- Eligible veterans can earn up to $22,000 for one year in additional pay, through the VA OJT apprenticeship program
Additional Annual Pay Incentives:
- Education pay for all college degrees, $504
- Bilingual specialist, $360
- Field Training Officer, $960
- Sheriff's Emergency Response Team (SERT), $1,800
- K-9 dog handler, $960
- Honor Guard pay, $600
- We’re a diverse and inclusive employer, with opportunities for leadership
- Voted “Best Places to Work in Hampton Roads,” by Inside Business Publication
- Shift schedules allow days off during the week, while working only 14 days a month
- Professional development through training and educational programs
Specific duties include:
- Supervising and monitoring the daily activities of inmates to include security within housing units, inmate visits, booking/processing, program activities, food service, recreation and general work assignments;
- Managing inmate behavior and using appropriate force as necessary;
- Supervising inmates assigned to Inmate Work Programs
Other duties and assignments include:
- Court Security- secure courtrooms; monitor courts in session; escort prisoners to and from courts and the Detention Facility; perform security checks within the Courthouse; respond to security check problems and Courthouse incidents.
- Warrant Process- serve legal paper and schedule and execute Court ordered evictions.
- Transportation- transport inmates and other individuals in custody to/from other correctional facilities, hearings, medical facilities, doctor's appointments.
All assignments include writing reports and documenting incidents. The nature of the work necessitates an element of danger and requires physical exertion and the ability to make decisions under stress. Work is performed according to departmental policies and procedures and involves the potential for personal danger. The employee must be able to communicate effectively, solve problems, write concise reports, maintain good physical conditioning, and be able to act quickly and calmly as part of a team under potentially stressful conditions.
The Norfolk Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Background Check (Criminal History, DMV, Credit)
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- U.S. Citizen 18 years or older
- Valid Virginia or North Carolina Driver's License
- Written Test for Language and Mathematics (Learn more about the written test by clicking HERE)
- Physical Agility Test (Learn more about the physical agility test by clicking HERE)
- Polygraph Examination
- Oral Board Examination
- Medical Examination
- Applicant must be willing to work days, evenings, nights, weekends, holidays, and rotated 12-hour shifts
- All new employees may not have any tattoos visible on head or neck when wearing the long-sleeved shirt uniform. (effective 3/20/19)
If you’re interested in joining our team, you can:
NOTE: This application template is a sample provided only for personal review.
All applications must be completed online,
or at our office at 140 East St. Norfolk, VA 23510.
After you submit your application, our Human Resources team will determine if you can take the next step, which is completing your written and physical agility tests on one of the following dates during the week or on Saturdays:
Remaining 2019-2020 Test Dates:
- Saturday, July 11th
- Saturday, July 18th
- Testing will be by invitation only. Applicants should arrive by 7:45 a.m., and written testing will begin at 8:00 a.m. The Agility test will begin at approximately 10:30 a.m. Applicants may wear athletic attire for the entire event, or may bring the attire with them and change after the written test.