Benefits of Hiring Inmates
Business owners can hire Norfolk City Jail inmates as part of our Work Release program. Your business can help inmates rise above, and become productive members of our community. Inmates are currently working in several local businesses where they learn trades and valuable skills to help become and remain productive members of society. Sheriff Baron’s program has been a great success for more than 20 years and he’s always looking to create new partnerships.
Businesses can receive a $2,400 to $9,000 tax break for keeping an inmate employed full time for two years.
- The offenders assigned to our Work Release Program are all low level custody inmates. This means they require minimal security and staff supervision.
- About 20+ inmates work for local businesses daily.
- Inmates choose to participate in the program because of the opportunity for a second chance.
- Business owners can select their inmates. If you are not satisfied with their work, we can select another inmate.
- Deputies nominate inmates based on their good work ethic in our Work Force program (i.e. shoveling snow for the City or cleaning Scope).
- Inmates will not be late because we provide their transportation: dropping them off at work and picking them up to return to the jail at night.
*You must have a business license, and your business must be within our travel area.